Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Wednesday, May 13, 2026
Hot
BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Energy DG, Mustapha Abdullahi over...
Court Sentence Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman...
FG to Borrow Fresh $1.25 Billion Loan From...
Senate, Reps Approve N1.75tn NDDC Budget for 2026
Gunmen Kill 13 in Plateau Fresh Attacks
Jabi Lake takeover stands even if God comes...
Fuel Scarcity Looms As Dangote Refinery Hikes Fuel...
IGP scraps SWAT nationwide
17 Reps Dump ADC for NDC
Bride’s father, hypeman shot dead at Lagos wedding...
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
Leading Reporters
Advertise With Us
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Hot
BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Energy DG, Mustapha Abdullahi over...
Court Sentence Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman...
FG to Borrow Fresh $1.25 Billion Loan From...
Senate, Reps Approve N1.75tn NDDC Budget for 2026
Gunmen Kill 13 in Plateau Fresh Attacks
Jabi Lake takeover stands even if God comes...
Fuel Scarcity Looms As Dangote Refinery Hikes Fuel...
IGP scraps SWAT nationwide
17 Reps Dump ADC for NDC
Bride’s father, hypeman shot dead at Lagos wedding...
Leading Reporters
Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Copyright 2024 - All Right Reserved
Home > Food
Tag:

Food

Business

Ramadan: Good news for Nigerians as food prices begin to crash

by Folarin Kehinde March 5, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

With the commencement of fasting which usually signifies the beginning of the Ramadan season, food prices in the market are crashing in states like Yobe, Borno, among others.

It was gathered that the crash in the food prices is quite notable on farm produce like millet, maize, beans and even rice which has been on an all-time high for some time.

Speaking on the new development, some marketers and business people within the markets said they are grateful for the crash in foodstuff prices.

While some of the sellers commended the government for introducing various initiatives to sustain the production of foodstuff by farmers, others said the prices began to drop when it was obvious that people could no longer afford the products and some perishables were going to waste.

However, Adamu Isah, a foodstuff seller said the current drop in prices is due to the harvest season.

Isah noted that this is the season of harvest and at this particular time – annually – prices of foodstuffs usually drop because there is an abundance of produce.

For instance, the price of rice which sold at almost N90,000 last year has dropped to N65,000; beans dropped from N150,000 to about N75,000 while millet which initially stood at N80,000 has now dropped to N45,000.

He, however, called in the governments at all levels to drive policies that would reduce the hardship faced by Nigerians across the country.

Isah said, “We need support, even the farmers need to be supported with seedlings, fertiliser, subsidised farming plans so they can produce more crops.”

March 5, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Health

Hunger looms after 8 days of lockdown: Chinese city Cries for Help

by Leading Reporters January 1, 2022
written by Leading Reporters

As the city of Xian in northwest China, with a population of 13 million, enters its eighth day of lockdown in an effort to manage the current cluster of COVID-19 infections, many residents are running out of food.

According to the National Health Commission, 156 new locally transmitted cases were registered nationally on Wednesday, up from 151 the day before.

155 of them were in Xian, while one was in Guangxi’s southern region.

On Wednesday, 51 imported cases were discovered in addition to the local transmissions.

Since December 9, 1,117 cases have been reported in Xian, which has a population of 13 million people.

A new round of mass testing began at 10 a.m. on Thursday, and all public activities in the city, which is famous for its Terracotta Warriors, have been prohibited. 

At a news conference on Wednesday, Zhang Fenghu, a city government official, said, “Xian has reached a live-or-die stage in its fight against the virus,”

Despite the low case count in Xian compared with many clusters overseas, officials have imposed tough curbs on travel within and out of the city since Dec. 23, as Beijing demands each outbreak be contained quickly.

Many residents have been prohibited from leaving their homes unless they are taking COVID-19 tests or attending to essential matters as determined by local authorities.

These restrictions have limited access to basic necessities, leaving many people reliant on deliveries rather than going out to shop.

According to a Xian government official on Wednesday, the limits have resulted in a staffing shortage at organisations responsible for assuring the supply of basic essentials, and the government is working to resolve the problem. 

(With inputs from agencies)

January 1, 2022 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Energy DG, Mustapha Abdullahi over N500bn Fraud

    May 13, 2026
  • Court Sentence Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman to 75 Years Imprisonment for Embezzling N33.8 Billion

    May 13, 2026
  • FG to Borrow Fresh $1.25 Billion Loan From World Bank

    May 12, 2026
  • ‘It’s time to go,’ constituent tells rep who has been in parliament for 27 years

    May 11, 2026
  • Senate, Reps Approve N1.75tn NDDC Budget for 2026

    May 11, 2026

Usefull Links

  • Contact Page
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
  • Headlines
  • Investigation
  • Exclusives
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign


Back To Top
Leading Reporters
  • Featured
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact