Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Friday, February 20, 2026
Hot
Ramadan: Hisbah arrests nine in Kano for allegedly...
37 Miners Die, 25 Hospitalised After Suspected Carbon...
FCT Polls: PDP candidate steps down for APC’s...
BREAKING: Tinubu signs controversial Electoral Act amendment bill...
Kano govt ban Dj, music till after Ramadan
Kaduna Terror Victims Demand Accountability for Rights Abuses...
BREAKING: DSS Sues El-Rufai for Intercepting NSA Ribadu’s...
Major Health Crisis Plagues Dape, Karmo Residents As...
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
Leading Reporters
Advertise With Us
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Hot
Ramadan: Hisbah arrests nine in Kano for allegedly...
37 Miners Die, 25 Hospitalised After Suspected Carbon...
FCT Polls: PDP candidate steps down for APC’s...
BREAKING: Tinubu signs controversial Electoral Act amendment bill...
Kano govt ban Dj, music till after Ramadan
Kaduna Terror Victims Demand Accountability for Rights Abuses...
BREAKING: DSS Sues El-Rufai for Intercepting NSA Ribadu’s...
Major Health Crisis Plagues Dape, Karmo Residents As...
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Leading Reporters
Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Copyright 2024 - All Right Reserved
Home > Headlines > Page 22
Category:

Headlines

Headlines

FG backtracks, says Mathematics remains compulsory for O’ level students

by Folarin Kehinde October 19, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

The Federal Government has said Mathematics is a compulsory subject for all students sitting for O-Level examinations.

This was conveyed in a press statement issued by Boriowo Folashade, spokesperson for the Federal Ministry of Education, on Sunday.

Earlier on Tuesday, Boriowo had announced that senior secondary school students in the arts and humanities would no longer be required to present a credit in Mathematics in their Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) for tertiary admissions.

Boriowo had stated that the reform became necessary after years of restricted access, which denied many qualified candidates admission opportunities.

READ ALSO: https://leadingreporters.com/just-in-fg-removes-mathematics-as-admission-requirement-for-art-students/

She had said while over two million candidates sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination annually, only about 700,000 gain admission.

However, the issue had generated controversy as some educationists rejected the policy shift, saying it would further encourage laziness among students and negatively impact their academic excellence and performance.

But in the new statement, Boriowo said the new admission guidelines do not exempt any candidate from registering and sitting for Mathematics.

“All students must continue to register and sit for English Language and Mathematics in their O-Level examinations,” the statement read.

The statement added that while institutions may now admit candidates into certain programmes where credit passes in either English or Mathematics are not mandatory, students are still required to take both subjects during their O-Level exams.

“This adjustment affects only admission criteria, not the requirement to take these subjects,” she clarified.

According to the statement, the reform supports the Federal Government’s vision of equitable access, inclusivity, and human capital development.

“English and Mathematics remain vital tools for communication, reasoning, and lifelong learning,” the Ministry noted.

The Ministry also urged students, parents, and stakeholders to rely solely on official communication channels for verified policy updates

Asked if the new development meant a U-turn on the earlier stance of the ministry, Boriowo said, “No, no U-turn — it’s a clarification on the streamlined admission requirements to expand access to tertiary education, please.”

 

October 19, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

192 foreigners convicted for cybercrime deported in Lagos

by Folarin Kehinde October 19, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

The Federal Government has completed the deportation of 192 foreign nationals convicted for cybercrime-related offences following a joint operation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), and the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS).

The exercise marks the conclusion of a major enforcement operation that began after the arrest of 759 suspects during a sting operation on December 10, 2024, at Oyin Jolayemi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.

The deportation, which commenced on August 15, 2025, was carried out in several batches. The first group, comprising 42 Chinese and Filipino nationals, was repatriated in mid-August, while others followed through August and September. The final batch of 51 convicts—50 Chinese nationals and one Tunisian—was deported on October 16, 2025, concluding the operation.

According to EFCC sources, the deported individuals were among a network of foreign and Nigerian suspects arrested during a coordinated crackdown on an international cybercrime ring operating under the name Genting International Co. Limited. Investigations revealed that the syndicate managed fraudulent digital platforms used to defraud victims both within and outside Nigeria.

“The operation was based on actionable intelligence that led to the dismantling of a sophisticated cybercrime syndicate,” an EFCC official said. “Their activities involved online fraud, identity theft, and Ponzi-style investment schemes.”

The convicts, drawn from China, the Philippines, Tunisia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Timor-Leste, were sentenced and ordered deported in accordance with court rulings and established immigration procedures.

The coordinated repatriation underscores ongoing inter-agency collaboration to combat cybercrime and enforce judicial directives involving foreign offenders in Nigeria’s digital and financial crime ecosystem.

 

October 19, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Customs officer dies in Katsina hotel after lodging with 3 women

by Folarin Kehinde October 16, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

A Customs officer, identified as Assistant Superintendent of Customs (ASC) Lawal Tukur, has been found d3ad in a hotel room in Katsina metropolis.

Zagazola report that the incident occurred on Oct. 15 at Murjani Hotel, Katsina, where the deceased had lodged. According to reports, hotel staff discovered the officer lying lifeless in his room at about 8:30 a.m. and immediately raised the alarm.

Sources at the hotel said some empty sachets of suspected substances were found in the waste basket of the room. Three women, identified as Khadija Ali, 34, of Dutsin Amare Quarters, Katsina; Aisha Lawal, 30, of Ingawa Local Government Area; and Hafsat Yusuf, 22, of Brigade Quarters, Kano, were reportedly in the hotel at the time of the incident.

It was gathered that Khadija and Aisha spent the night with the deceased, while Hafsat visited them later and also lodged in the same hotel.

The body of the officer was taken to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Katsina, where he was confirmed dead by a medical doctor and deposited at the mortuary for autopsy.

The Nigeria Customs Service has been informed of the development, while further findings are awaited to determine the cause of death.

October 16, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Keke Napep
Headlines

Three Feared Dead as Trailer Crushes Tricycle in Onitsha

by Nelson Ugwuagbo October 16, 2025
written by Nelson Ugwuagbo

No fewer than three persons were feared dead on Thursday morning when a trailer conveying a 40-foot container toppled and crushed a tricycle at Mgbaemene Bus Stop, near Upper Iweka, along the Onitsha Owerri Expressway.

According to eyewitnesses, the trailer whose registration number was defaced  was navigating through a bad section of the road inward Upper Iweka when it lost balance and fell, with the container landing on the tricycle carrying two passengers.

One witness said the incident occurred around 6:48 a.m., adding that the poor state of the road contributed to the crash.

“The accident happened because of the large potholes that have taken over the road. Tricycle operators usually use the small remaining portion of the lane. As the tricycles were trying to manoeuvre, the trailer also attempted the same, but it lost control and fell,” the witness said.

Emergency responders were yet to arrive at the scene as of the time of filing this report, while residents and passersby made frantic efforts to rescue those trapped under the container.

October 16, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Nyesom Wike
Headlines

Wike Mocks Critics, Says PDP Defectors Have Justified His Support for Tinubu

by Nelson Ugwuagbo October 16, 2025
written by Nelson Ugwuagbo

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike took a swipe at his critics, saying those who once attacked him for supporting President Bola Tinubu have now joined the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

Wike, 57, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has been serving in President Tinubu’s APC-led administration since 2023. Although he has not formally defected from the PDP, the former Rivers State governor openly backed Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election, with Rivers delivering significant votes for the President.

Speaking during the flag-off of the construction of the main carriageways on the Outer Southern Expressway in Abuja, Wike said some PDP governors who accused him of working against the party are now defecting to the APC. He argued that their actions have vindicated his earlier decision to align with Tinubu.

“I have been watching on television and social media, people who said I wanted to destabilise the party, that I was working for the APC,” Wike said. “All of them are now in the APC. So, if it’s true, they should commend me for working for where they are heading. I should be commended for doing a good job for them.”

Wike’s remarks come amid a wave of defections from the PDP to the APC, a development he says validates his political stance and loyalty to President Tinubu’s leadership.

October 16, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

BREAKING: Bayelsa Gov Douye Diri Dumps PDP

by Folarin Kehinde October 15, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

 

 

Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State has resigned from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Diri, who announced this on Wednesday at the exco chamber in the Bayelsa State Government House, did not state the political party that he will be moving to.

His decision was backed by 23 members of the House of Assembly, led by the Speaker.

Diri’s defection came 24 hours after his Enugu State counterpart, Peter Mbah, dumped the party for the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

More to follow…

 

October 15, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Finance Minister Wale Edun Flown to UK for Medical Treatment

by Folarin Kehinde October 15, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, has reportedly travelled to the United Kingdom for medical treatment.

This development comes after the Presidency earlier announced that Edun was receiving treatment at his home in Abuja and might seek further medical attention abroad if necessary.

According to multiple sources who confirmed the development on Tuesday, the minister has now left the country. One of the sources said, “It’s true, he has left already.”

Edun was said to have departed Abuja for Lagos on Monday night via a commercial flight before boarding a British Airways flight to London later that night.

In an earlier statement, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, explained that the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Olayemi Cardoso, would lead the economic team in Edun’s absence, as the minister was “indisposed.”

There had been widespread rumours claiming that Edun suffered a stroke and was flown abroad for treatment, but the Presidency has since denied those reports.

Presidential aides maintained that Edun, a key member of President Bola Tinubu’s economic team, is recuperating and in good spirits.

 

October 15, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Edo Governor Bars Commissioners Without Asiwaju Cap from Exco Meeting

by Folarin Kehinde October 15, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has charged his Commissioners and Special Advisers to always wear the Asiwaju mandate cap as a practical way of showing their support for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu.

Governor Okpebholo said any Commissioner who failed to wear Asiwaju the cap would not be allowed into the State Executive Council meeting.

He spoke in Benin City, swearing in 19 new Commissioners and boards of agencies and commissions.

According to Okpebholo, “This could not have happened if we did not have a responsible president. We have done many elections here, and the major problem we have had is that the president is not with us, but today we say thank you. I will not forgive any commissioner who is not wearing this cap. In our exco meetings, if you are not wearing a suit and you are coming to the meeting without this Asiwaju cap, you will go back.” He said.

Governor Okpebholo charged the Commissioners that the focus of his administration was not propaganda but practical governance that would benefit the people positively.

He warned the new Commissioners that his administration would not tolerate corruption and reminded them that their appointment was not for self-enrichment.

Governor Okpebholo told the Commissioners that their nominations was not a reward or patronage, but a call to serve the people of Edo State.

His words, “This administration came into office on the promise of practical governance – to touch the lives of our people directly.

“Our focus is not on propaganda, but on service delivery and tangible results that can be felt in every community across our state.

“While I congratulate you on your deserved elevation, I want to warn that your appointment is not for personal enrichment. You are not here for Money-making, but for service, for sacrifice, and for a better life for Edo people.

“I hereby call on you to brace up for action, as your success will be measured by your impact in bringing about better services and opportunities to our people.

“May I remind you that this administration has zero tolerance for corruption and you’re expected to display discipline, teamwork, and a shared sense of purpose.

 

 

 

 

October 15, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

JUST IN: FG Removes Mathematics as Admission Requirement for Art Students

by Folarin Kehinde October 14, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

The Ministry of Education has announced that credit in mathematics in the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) will no longer be a requirement for students seeking admission into arts and humanities courses in universities and polytechnics.

The statement, issued on Tuesday in Abuja by the Ministry’s spokesperson, Folasade Boriowo, marks a shift from the long-standing practice where admission seekers in arts and humanities were required to have five credit passes, including mathematics and English, to gain entry into higher institutions.

According to Boriowo, the revised National Guidelines for Entry Requirements into Nigerian Tertiary Institutions are designed to remove unnecessary barriers while maintaining academic standards.

The new framework applies across universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, and Innovation Enterprise Academies.

Mathematics will remain mandatory only for science, technology, and certain social science courses, while English continues to be a compulsory requirement for all programmes.

The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, described the reform as a deliberate effort to broaden access to tertiary education and create opportunities for more students to pursue arts and humanities disciplines.

 

October 14, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Joash Amupitan
Headlines

Tinubu Seeks Senate Confirmation of Amupitan as INEC Chairman

by Nelson Ugwuagbo October 14, 2025
written by Nelson Ugwuagbo

President Bola Tinubu has forwarded a request to the Senate seeking the confirmation of Professor Joash Amupitan as the new Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The request was read during Tuesday’s plenary by Senate President Godswill Akpabio, who also presented other communications from the President on appointments requiring legislative approval.

According to the President’s letter, the nomination was made in line with constitutional provisions that mandate Senate confirmation for such appointments.

The request has been referred to the Committee of the Whole for further legislative consideration.

October 14, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Newer Posts
Older Posts

Recent Posts

  • Ramadan: Hisbah arrests nine in Kano for allegedly eating in public

    February 19, 2026
  • 37 Miners Die, 25 Hospitalised After Suspected Carbon Monoxide Exposure in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
  • FCT Polls: PDP candidate steps down for APC’s Ishaku after Wike’s intervention

    February 18, 2026
  • BREAKING: Tinubu signs controversial Electoral Act amendment bill into law

    February 18, 2026
  • Kano govt ban Dj, music till after Ramadan

    February 18, 2026

Usefull Links

  • Contact Page
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
  • Headlines
  • Investigation
  • Exclusives
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign


Back To Top
Leading Reporters
  • Featured
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact