Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Saturday, February 14, 2026
Hot
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
Tension As Popular Gospel Singer, 3 crew members...
2027: Wike Establishes Radio Station For Tinubu Campaign...
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
Leading Reporters
Advertise With Us
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Hot
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
Tension As Popular Gospel Singer, 3 crew members...
2027: Wike Establishes Radio Station For Tinubu Campaign...
Leading Reporters
Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Copyright 2024 - All Right Reserved
Home > Students
Tag:

Students

Headlines

FG backtracks, says Mathematics remains compulsory for O’ level students

by Folarin Kehinde October 19, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

The Federal Government has said Mathematics is a compulsory subject for all students sitting for O-Level examinations.

This was conveyed in a press statement issued by Boriowo Folashade, spokesperson for the Federal Ministry of Education, on Sunday.

Earlier on Tuesday, Boriowo had announced that senior secondary school students in the arts and humanities would no longer be required to present a credit in Mathematics in their Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) for tertiary admissions.

Boriowo had stated that the reform became necessary after years of restricted access, which denied many qualified candidates admission opportunities.

READ ALSO: https://leadingreporters.com/just-in-fg-removes-mathematics-as-admission-requirement-for-art-students/

She had said while over two million candidates sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination annually, only about 700,000 gain admission.

However, the issue had generated controversy as some educationists rejected the policy shift, saying it would further encourage laziness among students and negatively impact their academic excellence and performance.

But in the new statement, Boriowo said the new admission guidelines do not exempt any candidate from registering and sitting for Mathematics.

“All students must continue to register and sit for English Language and Mathematics in their O-Level examinations,” the statement read.

The statement added that while institutions may now admit candidates into certain programmes where credit passes in either English or Mathematics are not mandatory, students are still required to take both subjects during their O-Level exams.

“This adjustment affects only admission criteria, not the requirement to take these subjects,” she clarified.

According to the statement, the reform supports the Federal Government’s vision of equitable access, inclusivity, and human capital development.

“English and Mathematics remain vital tools for communication, reasoning, and lifelong learning,” the Ministry noted.

The Ministry also urged students, parents, and stakeholders to rely solely on official communication channels for verified policy updates

Asked if the new development meant a U-turn on the earlier stance of the ministry, Boriowo said, “No, no U-turn — it’s a clarification on the streamlined admission requirements to expand access to tertiary education, please.”

 

October 19, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Taraba
Headlines

WASSCE Candidates Escape Death as School Building Collapse in Taraba

by Nelson Ugwuagbo May 29, 2025
written by Nelson Ugwuagbo

Hundreds of students writing the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) narrowly escaped death on Wednesday evening when a classroom building collapsed at Government Secondary School, Namnai village, in Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State.

The incident occurred around 6 p.m. during a severe storm, shortly after the second batch of students had begun their examination.

Eyewitnesses said strong winds and heavy rainfall caused the classrooms to cave in, trapping students, teachers, members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), and exam supervisors under the rubble.

“Many victims, both male and female students, sustained serious injuries, including fractures,” said Alhaji DanAzumi Lauris, a resident of the village.

He added that local residents carried out rescue efforts that lasted several hours before the trapped individuals were pulled out.

The injured were taken to a nearby primary healthcare centre for treatment. Several residential buildings in Namnai were also reportedly damaged by the storm.

In a related development, the heavy downpour also disrupted WASSCE examinations in Jalingo, the Taraba State capital. Flooding and poor visibility left many students stranded, with some unable to return home until after 1 a.m.

As of the time of writing, government authorities have yet to issue an official statement regarding the incident or the possible adjustment of the examination schedule.

May 29, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

JUST IN: Protests in Lokoja after fatal accident kills 7 University students

by Folarin Kehinde February 19, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

Students of the Federal University Lokoja (FUL), Kogi State, have taken to the streets in a massive protest following the tragic death of seven students and a bus driver in a ghastly road accident involving a truck and a school shuttle bus.

The protest, which began on Tuesday and continued into Wednesday morning, saw students demanding immediate government action to prevent further tragedies on the roads around the university.

The fatal accident occurred around 2:30 PM on Monday, February 18, when an articulated truck carrying wood and jerrycans of palm oil lost control and crashed into a school shuttle bus filled with students.

Eyewitnesses described the scene as devastating, stating that the shuttle bus was preparing to transport students when the speeding truck rammed into it, crushing it completely. Seven students died on the spot, alongside the bus driver.

“The driver of the truck lost control and rammed into the school shuttle bus, which was already filled with students and set to leave. The impact was devastating,” a student told SaharaReporters.

In response to the tragedy, enraged students mobilized and blocked roads leading to the university, calling for the restriction of heavy-duty trucks from operating during the daytime.

The protesters gathered at the university gate, demanding urgent government intervention to improve road safety in the area.

Emergency responders, including officers of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), were deployed to the scene to rescue trapped victims.

Kogi State FRSC Sector Commander, Samuel Oyedeji, confirmed that while the exact number of casualties was still being determined, several bodies had been taken to the morgue, while the injured were rushed to the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja, and the Kogi State Specialist Hospital for treatment.

The ongoing student protest has intensified calls for stricter traffic regulations to prevent further loss of lives.

A student protester said, “On Tuesday, we gathered at the school gate, demanding lasting measures to avert the recurrence of accidents on this road. The Kogi State Deputy Governor visited the university entrance today to sympathize with the aggrieved students and the university community.”

“The students are still out this morning (Wednesday), continuing the protest,” the student added.

February 19, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Leading Reporters Books Across Borders Initiative has decried negligence of rural Primary schools in FCT lead by Solomon Oseagah
ExclusivesHeadlines

NGO bemoans negligence of rural schools in FCT; describes LEA Primary Sch Kpakpantoshi as worse than IDP camp

by Leading Reporters January 21, 2023
written by Leading Reporters

A non-governmental pro-educational organization, Books Across Borders Initiative has decried negligence of rural Primary schools in FCT by the authorities of the  Federal Capital Territory Administration.

Leading Reporters Books Across Borders Initiative has decried negligence of rural Primary schools in FCT

Members of the board of trustees of the organization, led by Mr. Solomon Oseagah, during one of their periodic visits to schools in rural areas observed that LEA Primary School, Kpakpantoshi Angwa Shehu Karimo Abuja has been left in a state worse than an IDP camp.

NGO bemoans negligence of rural schools in FCT; describes LEA Primary Sch Kpakpantoshi as worse than IDP camp

Mr Oseagah who led the team of the board of trustees to the school expressed displeasure at what he described as outright negligence of schools in rural areas by the authorities of the Federal Capital territory.

Addressing newsmen in the organization’s office following inspection of rural schools in FCT, the Chairman, Board of Trustees Light Shedrack said it has become worrisome that FCT administration has continued to cater for schools within the city center, while blatantly neglecting schools and students in rural areas of the federal capital.

He said the school building poses danger to the lives of the pupils even as he said that there are no learning facilities that could aid pupils in their studies.

“From what we saw today, it is obvious that the administration of the Federal capital territory concentrates on schools within the city centers.  We have been visiting schools in rural and isolated areas, and our experience is nothing to write home about. 

NGO bemoans negligence of rural schools in FCT; describes LEA Primary Sch Kpakpantoshi as worse than IDP camp

“Today, we visited the LEA Primary School Kpakpantoshi and what we say was better imagined than experienced.  From dilapidated buildings which pose safety threat to the lives of the pupils, to classrooms without ceilings, writing boards, desks and tables.  The teachers have no enabling and conducive environment to teach.  No library.  No learning aids and materials.  The condition of the pupils could be said to be worse than children in IDP camps. Some of the pupils sit on bare floor to study.  The truth is that those children are exposed to avoidable dangers.

NGO bemoans negligence of rural schools in FCT; describes LEA Primary Sch Kpakpantoshi as worse than IDP camp

Mr. Shedrack said that the school is one of the schools the organization has enlisted in its ”One-child, One-Book Project” of the organization.  He therefore called on the authorities of the Federal Capital Territory, the senator and honourable members, including the local council authorities representing Kpakpantoshi constituency to hasten to the help of the pupils before the unimaginable happens.

Books Across Borders Initiative is a pro-literacy and skills acquisition advocate group comprising of educationists, authors and other stakeholders in educations and skills acquisition.  The group donates mind-enriching books to schools and pupils in rural and isolated areas in Nigeria.

January 21, 2023 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections

    February 13, 2026
  • Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in March – Perm Sec

    February 12, 2026
  • Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against currency abuse

    February 12, 2026
  • INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General Elections

    February 12, 2026
  • Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air makes emergency landing

    February 11, 2026

Usefull Links

  • Contact Page
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
  • Headlines
  • Investigation
  • Exclusives
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign


Back To Top
Leading Reporters
  • Featured
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact