Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Friday, February 13, 2026
Hot
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
Tension As Popular Gospel Singer, 3 crew members...
2027: Wike Establishes Radio Station For Tinubu Campaign...
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
Leading Reporters
Advertise With Us
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Hot
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
Tension As Popular Gospel Singer, 3 crew members...
2027: Wike Establishes Radio Station For Tinubu Campaign...
Leading Reporters
Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Copyright 2024 - All Right Reserved
Home > Obasanjo
Tag:

Obasanjo

Headlines

I’m Getting Close to My Departure – Obasanjo

by Folarin Kehinde August 25, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo says he is in a hurry to see Nigeria rise to greatness.

He said he is “getting close” to his departure lounge in life.

Obasanjo made the remark while speaking on his new book, Nigeria: Past and Future, where he assessed the country’s leadership journey and issued stern criticisms of successive governments.

The former military Head of State (1976–1979) and civilian President (1999–2007) explained that his interventions over the years, through books, letters, and public statements, were motivated by patriotism and not malice.

“All my writings have been aimed at making Nigeria better because I strongly believe in documentation and in the possibility of a better Nigeria,” Obasanjo said.

He said his works, such as My Command, Nzeogwu, Not My Will, My Watch (a three-volume autobiography), and several letters to leaders during moments of crisis, were intended to guide, not to condemn.

“Some have accused me of being guilty of the same failings I criticised. But I rely on my conscience and my records and have no need to defend myself,” he stated.

Obasanjo described the government of former President Muhammadu Buhari (2015–2023) as “the worst civil administration so far in Nigeria’s history.”

He accused Buhari of failing to confront corruption, mismanagement, and electoral malpractice — the same ills he had used to justify the 1983 coup against President Shehu Shagari. “Words are cheap, and what needed to be done was left undone,” Obasanjo wrote.

Turning to the present, he said the Bola Tinubu administration was “competing with Buhari’s in inefficiency.”

Obasanjo, however, maintained that his legacy would speak for him, citing his sacrifices in war, peacekeeping, imprisonment, and national service. “I have seen the best and the worst of Nigeria. Yes, mistakes were made, but great things were also done. My life has been a crucible of rural struggles, military service, humiliation and triumphs, all of which have taught me lasting lessons,” he said.

“I want to see Nigeria succeed soon. I may be close to my departure, but my desire is to witness the nation attain the greatness it deserves,” the elder statesman added.

 

August 25, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Presidency Lambast Obasanjo for Tagging Tinubu’s Projects as ‘Wasteful’

by Folarin Kehinde March 13, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

The Nigerian presidency has reacted to former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s criticism of President Bola Tinubu’s projects, dismissing his claims as baseless and misleading.

Obasanjo had condemned the N15.6 trillion Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway project, calling it wasteful and corrupt.

He also criticized the Tinubu administration for approving N21 billion for a new official residence for Vice President Kashim Shettima, labelling it an unnecessary expense and a misplaced priority.

The former president made these remarks in his new book, Nigeria: Past and Future, where he analyzed the leadership styles and decisions of Nigerian leaders. The book was launched last week as part of his 88th birthday celebrations.

In response, Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Social Media, Dada Olusegun, took to X (formerly Twitter), accusing Obasanjo of hypocrisy and poor leadership during his own time in office.

“While it is common for many elder statesmen to write books aimed at sanctifying their days as the leader of the country despite obvious flaws, another elder statesman, former President Olusegun Obasanjo, has just published a memoir containing claims that would further relegate his integrity as the leader who opened Nigeria to the cankerworms of corruption,” Olusegun wrote.

He accused Obasanjo of neglecting critical projects during his tenure.

He said, “By underplaying the importance of the Lagos-Calabar project in his latest book, President OBJ has not only affirmed to those who witnessed his administration’s several failures to address the needs of the country when he had the opportunity, but he has also put in written form, a position which generations to come will indeed question when the road that will end up as one of the most significant endeavors of any Federal Government in the history of the country finally becomes a reality.”

Olusegun further argued that Obasanjo failed in infrastructure development despite spending eight years in office. According to him, “It took former President Buhari just three years to deliver the first modern rail to pass through Baba’s backyard in Abeokuta. The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, one of Nigeria’s most important road projects, remained incomplete under Baba and the PDP for 16 years until Buhari completed it.”

He also referenced other abandoned projects, such as the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, which he claimed had to be inherited by Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun in 2024 because Obasanjo failed to complete it despite holding power.

“Should we delve into the corruption that brought Nigeria’s power sector to its knees despite the claims of spending billions of dollars to fix the same under his administration? Or his failure to revive our refineries, killing our steel industry, and the fraudulent privatization of NITEL, among others?” Olusegun added.

The presidential aide accused Obasanjo of being jealous of Tinubu’s leadership. His words, “Like the Sokoto-Badagry Highway and Lagos-Abuja Highway, the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road is a project that will change the economic landscape of our country for life. Former President OBJ must pretend not to be jealous of the master strategist who is rewriting the history of the southwestern presidency by fixing all that needs to be fixed across the country.”

“President Tinubu will not be deterred by distractions such as these, and believe me, Nigerians who understand development will not be distracted at this point,” he added.

March 13, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

2027: Atiku visits Obasanjo as politicians begin early preparations

by Folarin Kehinde February 10, 2025
written by Folarin Kehinde

Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar is currently meeting with ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

Atiku’s convoy arrived at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), Abeokuta, at exactly 12:36pm.

The former presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party was received by Obasanjo’s ally, Otunba Oyewole Fasawe.

In Atiku’s entourage were, former Governors of Cross River and Sokoto States, Liyel Imoke, Senator Aminu Tambuwal and Senator representing Bauchi Central, Abdul Ningi.

Daily Trust reports that Atiku went in straight into a closed door meeting with his former boss.

Details later…

February 10, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Obasanjo lay curse on those wishing him dead

by Folarin Kehinde November 27, 2024
written by Folarin Kehinde

Former President of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo has said he woke up to rumours of his death.

He said some people wrote on social media that he passed away midnight of Monday.

Obasanjo made this known while speaking at the commissioning of Old-Garage-Oke-Fia-Lameco road by Governor of Osun State, Ademola Adeleke.

Adeleke had invited Obasanjo to commission the road project as part of the activities marking the governor’s second year anniversary in office.

Speaking at the event, Obasanjo dispelled the death speculation, saying he was embittered to see people wishing him dead.

The former President who spoke in Yoruba, said he was phoned by a close ally and asked to check the social media for the death rumours.

He said he quickly visited the social media through his phone and confirmed the death speculation.

Obasanjo explained that he immediately shared the death rumours to his family and friends.

He wondered why anyone could want him to die, saying that the speculators may wish him to depart surface of the earth but their wish will not come true.

The former president said anyone who thinks ill of him would not escape tragedy.

He commended Governor Adeleke for his extraordinary performance in Osun, saying his second term is sure.

Obasanjo urged Adeleke to continue to prioritise the welfare of the people.

November 27, 2024 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Nigeria Has Become a “Burial Ground of Policies” – Former President Obasanjo Laments

by Folarin Kehinde October 19, 2024
written by Folarin Kehinde

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has, in a fresh remark aimed at the country, said Nigeria is a “burial ground of policies.”

Obasanjo made the comment during the 8th Engr Brig Gen (rtd) Micheal Agu Annual Distinguished Lecture and Awards, held at the Olusegun Obasanjo Space Centre in Abuja.

The lecture and awards with the theme “Nigeria’s 21 years in space 2003-2024: Achievements, challenges, and prospects” were organised by the Nigerian Institution of Space Engineers.

“It is not enough for leaders to have policies or make statements,” Obasanjo said. “We are not short of policies in Nigeria. Unfortunately, Nigeria has become a burial ground of policies that are either unimplemented or unexecuted.”

The former President said that meaningful progress requires concrete actions, not just policy statements.

“Those who make progress achieve progress not on the basis of wishing to make progress, but on taking actions,” Obasanjo noted. “They do not take two steps forward and three steps backwards. Regrettably, this is what we are doing in every aspect of our national life.”

It can be recalled that during his administration, Obasanjo established the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA). The former Nigerian leader said he invested in training Nigerian engineers with over 100 of them sent to China for training in various categories and specializations.

Obasanjo went further to say that the plan was to launch three satellites: one built by China, one in collaboration with China, and a third entirely designed and built by Nigeria. However, he regretted that progress was stalled after he left office, with NASRDA reportedly struggling to pay its workers at some point.

October 19, 2024 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Insecurity, Tensions : Obasanjo, Sultan, Onaiyekan, Abdulsalam,Others Convene Immediate Meeting

by Leading Reporters July 9, 2021
written by Leading Reporters

Nigeria’s former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has convened a national meeting to discuss solutions to Nigeria’s current myriad of problems.

OBJ alongside former head of state, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad abubakar and Ex-Catholic archbishop of Abuja, John Onaiyekan amongst others will be meeting in Abuja on Thursday for the meeting.

This is according to a letter seen by POLITICS NIGERIA, written by Obasanjo to the President of the Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, Ayuba Wabba. The letter read;

I am pleased to invite you on behalf of Interfaith Initiatives for Peace jointly led by the Sultan of Sokoto, his eminence Mohammad Sa’ad Abubakar and his eminence John Cardinal Onaiyekan, national peace committee chaired by General Abdulsalami Abubakar and Socio-cultural Consultative Committee convened by me and all these bodies called Committee of Goodness of Nigeria (CJN) to an exploratory meeting on pressing issues of national unity, security, peace, integration, economic revitalisation and development, women and youth welfare and general progress,”.

July 9, 2021 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections

    February 13, 2026
  • Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in March – Perm Sec

    February 12, 2026
  • Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against currency abuse

    February 12, 2026
  • INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General Elections

    February 12, 2026
  • Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air makes emergency landing

    February 11, 2026

Usefull Links

  • Contact Page
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
  • Headlines
  • Investigation
  • Exclusives
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign


Back To Top
Leading Reporters
  • Featured
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact