Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Monday, May 18, 2026
Hot
Court grants El-Rufai N100m bail, seizes his passport
EFCC Arraigns Bank MD Over 19m, $30,000 Fraud
Seyi Makinde Declares For President in PDP/APM Alliance
BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Energy DG, Mustapha Abdullahi over...
Court Sentence Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman...
FG to Borrow Fresh $1.25 Billion Loan From...
Senate, Reps Approve N1.75tn NDDC Budget for 2026
Gunmen Kill 13 in Plateau Fresh Attacks
Jabi Lake takeover stands even if God comes...
Fuel Scarcity Looms As Dangote Refinery Hikes Fuel...
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
Leading Reporters
Advertise With Us
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Hot
Court grants El-Rufai N100m bail, seizes his passport
EFCC Arraigns Bank MD Over 19m, $30,000 Fraud
Seyi Makinde Declares For President in PDP/APM Alliance
BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Energy DG, Mustapha Abdullahi over...
Court Sentence Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman...
FG to Borrow Fresh $1.25 Billion Loan From...
Senate, Reps Approve N1.75tn NDDC Budget for 2026
Gunmen Kill 13 in Plateau Fresh Attacks
Jabi Lake takeover stands even if God comes...
Fuel Scarcity Looms As Dangote Refinery Hikes Fuel...
Leading Reporters
Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Copyright 2024 - All Right Reserved
Home > migrant expulsions
Tag:

migrant expulsions

Africa & World

Biden to continue Trump-era migrant expulsions

by Leading Reporters August 4, 2021
written by Leading Reporters

The Biden administration has said it will indefinitely extend a Trump-era pandemic policy that allows the US to swiftly expel undocumented migrants.

The policy known as Title 42 is aimed at preventing the spread of Covid-19 in holding facilities, officials say. Children and some families are exempt.

At least 940,000 people have been expelled since it was issued last year.

The decision comes as migrants continue to stream to the US border, including about 210,000 in July alone.

In a statement, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that the policy will remain in effect until the spread of Covid by non-citizens stops being a “serious danger” to public health.

The CDC said it will review the situation every 60 days.

The announcement drew outrage from immigration advocacy groups who accused the Biden team of backing the hardline anti-immigration policies of Donald Trump.

Officers from Customs and Border Protection encountered an average of 6,779 individuals each day in July, including 616 unaccompanied children, Monday’s court filing said.

It added that the “record numbers” of migrants had “strained” operations at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), according to David Shahoulian, the assistant secretary for border and immigration policy.

“These encounter rates have … caused border facilities to be filled beyond their normal operating capacity, impacting the ability to employ social distancing,” the filing quoted Mr Shahoulian as saying.

Additionally, Mr Shahoulian said that the department is experiencing “significantly increased rates” of positive Covid tests. It added that the dangers have increased because of the spread of the highly transmissible Delta variant.

The American Civil Liberties Union and several other advocacy groups have said they will return to court over President Biden’s use of Title 42.

His administration has repeatedly defended the Trump-era policy in courts, where the civil rights groups have sued to have the US asylum system continue processing claims.

While the Biden government has made immigration reform an important goal, the president has repeatedly called on migrants to not attempt the dangerous journey to the US.

“I can say quite clearly: don’t come over,” he said in an ABC News interview in March. “We’re in the process of getting set up. Don’t leave your town or community.”

August 4, 2021 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail

Recent Posts

  • Court grants El-Rufai N100m bail, seizes his passport

    May 18, 2026
  • EFCC Arraigns Bank MD Over 19m, $30,000 Fraud

    May 15, 2026
  • Seyi Makinde Declares For President in PDP/APM Alliance

    May 14, 2026
  • BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Energy DG, Mustapha Abdullahi over N500bn Fraud

    May 13, 2026
  • Court Sentence Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman to 75 Years Imprisonment for Embezzling N33.8 Billion

    May 13, 2026

Usefull Links

  • Contact Page
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
  • Headlines
  • Investigation
  • Exclusives
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign


Back To Top
Leading Reporters
  • Featured
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact