FG Blames USA, Trump Over Recent Terror Attacks in Nigeria

by Nelson Ugwuagbo
George Akume

The SGF to the Federal Government (FG), George Akume on Wednesday blamed renewed terror attacks in parts of the country, including the abduction of schoolgirls in Kebbi State and an assault on worshippers in Eruku, Kwara State, on recent remarks by United States President Donald Trump.

Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, said Trump’s comments alleging “Christian genocide” in Nigeria and threatening to deploy US troops had “inadvertently emboldened opportunistic violent groups” now targeting soft spots to gain attention.

“Recent pronouncements from the United States have inadvertently emboldened opportunistic violent groups seeking to exploit international narratives and make bold statements by attacking soft targets,” Akume said on Wednesday.

Speaking on the evolution of violent extremism, banditry and the broader security situation, the SGF insisted that insurgent networks had been substantially weakened before the latest wave of attacks.

“Before these statements, insurgency structures had been significantly degraded and reduced to isolated banditry. This resurgence underscores the vital need for collaboration, not public labelling, between Nigeria and the United States,” he added.

Trump, in a series of posts on X between October 30 and November 1, 2025, had described Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” over what he called a “Christian genocide.”

The US President further warned that he might deploy American forces to Nigeria if the alleged killings of Christians continued, saying he had directed what he termed the “Department of War” to prepare for “possible action” should the violence persist.

Akume maintained that some violent groups were now attempting to leverage those remarks to gain visibility.

“Some groups are trying to take advantage of these pronouncements to project themselves and attract global attention,” he noted.

Reaffirming the Federal Government’s stance, the SGF stressed that Nigeria does not require foreign troops on its soil, insisting that the Nigerian Armed Forces have reclaimed territories and significantly degraded Boko Haram and ISWAP capabilities.

You may also like