Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Hot
BREAKING: DSS Sues El-Rufai for Intercepting NSA Ribadu’s...
Major Health Crisis Plagues Dape, Karmo Residents As...
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
Leading Reporters
Advertise With Us
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Hot
BREAKING: DSS Sues El-Rufai for Intercepting NSA Ribadu’s...
Major Health Crisis Plagues Dape, Karmo Residents As...
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
Leading Reporters
Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Copyright 2024 - All Right Reserved
Home > Omoyele Sowore
Tag:

Omoyele Sowore

Sowore Omoyele
Headlines

Police Re-Arrests, Assaults Sowore Despite Court Bail

by Nelson Ugwuagbo October 24, 2025
written by Nelson Ugwuagbo

Omoyele Sowore has reportedly been re-arrested on Thursday outside the Kuje Magistrate Court in Abuja, moments after being granted bail along with 13 others.

According to eyewitness accounts cited by Politics Nigeria, police officers dragged Sowore into a waiting vehicle shortly after Magistrate Abubakar Umar Sai’id approved bail for the group, who had been detained during the recent #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest in the capital.

As members of the defence team worked to perfect the bail conditions, officers led by the Investigating Police Officer (IPO), CSP Ilyasu Barau—Officer in Charge of Anti-Vice under the FCT Command’s DC-CID—allegedly confronted Sowore, punched him, and forced him into a police van.

Witnesses said Sowore resisted when officers attempted to take him away without offering any explanation.

“The IPO punched him, dragged him on the ground, and forced him into the van. They really manhandled him,” one eyewitness claimed.

Another source alleged that police refused to show any remand order despite insisting they possessed one.

“When we asked to see the remand order they claimed to have obtained, the officer refused to show any document,” the source said. “The police took Sowore away to Kuje Prison despite his bail, citing a secret remand order.”

Those granted bail alongside Sowore include Aloy Ejimakor, counsel to detained IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu; Kanu’s brother, Prince Emmanuel Kanu; and 11 other protesters.

As of press time, police had not issued an official statement regarding the incident.

October 24, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
sowore
Headlines

Nigeria Needs Competent Leaders, Not Rotational Presidency – Sowore

by Nelson Ugwuagbo August 5, 2025
written by Nelson Ugwuagbo

Former presidential candidate and human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, has criticised Nigeria’s practice of rotational presidency, arguing that competence — not geography — should determine who leads the country.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, Sowore said Nigerians are more concerned about having an effective leader than where such a person comes from.

“If I have a good president in Nigeria who can run this country very well, I don’t care where he comes from,” he said.

According to him, zoning the presidency based on region is counterproductive and undermines the principles of merit and fairness.

“That is what the majority of the Nigerian people are aspiring for. That is the idea of this federation — that all federating units should have an opportunity,” he stated.

He argued that the current arrangement often pits regions against one another, without guaranteeing that the best candidates emerge.

“When you zone it to the north, the majority of the northerners want to take a shot at it. When you zone it back to the south, the south is not just Yoruba or Igbo alone. It is senseless,” he said.

Sowore insisted that every presidential hopeful should be allowed to contest irrespective of their region, with emphasis placed on qualification, vision, and capacity.

Zoning the presidency to the worst character in the country is not going to make you get anywhere,” he warned.

August 5, 2025 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Threat to Church: Groups Condemn Sowore’s ‘Buhari Must Go’ Protest

by Folarin Kehinde July 15, 2021
written by Folarin Kehinde

A coalition of Christian youths have condemned in totality the evil plot by self acclaimed human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore  to destabilize the church by staging a political protest in Dunamis Church.

The groups in a communique signed by Amb. Phil Roberts issued on Wednesday which was obtained by THE SUMMIT, said that the meeting was aimed at bringing Christian youths together to unify the church and Nigeria irrespective of prevailing challenges.

The groups called on all youth bodies to dissociate themselves from politics of religion and ethnicity, bearing in mind that religion and ethnicity will only fuel needless tension and pull us farther apart as a people.

The communique read in part, “We condemn the evil plot by the self-acclaimed human right activist, Omoyele Sowore to destabilize the church by staging a political protest in Dunamis Church on Sunday, 4th July, 2021. Sowore in his own statement shamelessly denied the conduct of any protest, even while he was live streaming the same protest with the caption, “BUHARI MUST GO Campaign Hits Dunamis Church in Abuja.”

READ ALSO: The truth that hurt Onoja

Sowore continued tirades against the church is part of his desperate ploy to whip up sentiment, sway public opinion, elicit public sympathy, all with the heinous intention for blackmail.

“We condemn in totality, the campaign of calumny and media war being waged against the church by Sowore and his cohorts. Even though the DSS admitted to arresting the boys, Sowore remains brazenly relentless in his evil campaign to smear the name of the church and the revered man of God.”

The groups questioned the rationale behind the protest, expressing worries that a protest against the government is being staged in the church.

“Come to think of it, what could have been the rationale behind his leading a protest against the government to a church? Is the church the seat of government? Who is Sowore protesting against, the church or the government? We implore everyone to critically look into the above questions and satisfy their conscience with balanced and objective answers via a vis what sowore and his people have been posting online,” the communique read

The groups further stated that, the collective yearning for positive change and leadership transformation in the land takes the centre stage but however, engagement in the quest for change should be done in an orderly and civilized manner.

“Sowore’s congenital disposition to delinquency, lawlessness, rascality and venality detracts from our collective hope and aspiration for honest, sincere, and transparent leadership. 

Sowore’s Mephistophelian quest for fame remains the only driver of his actions even against reason, public interest and progress. His conducts are often at variance with the interest of the very people he is ostensibly fighting for.

“We won’t be cowed into embracing anarchy in our quest for change, and so, the youths should avoid the societal plague called Sowore. People like him should be avoided and denigrated, not embraced and celebrated,” the communique added

The groups therefore called on church leaders to rise up to the occasion and speak for the church so as not to allow an uncultured, irreligious political delinquent, sustain his unwarranted attacks on the church adding that he should not be allowed to infest Christian youths with his moral degeneracy, political rascality and ethical bankruptcy.

The groups also urged the Nigerian Government to call Sowore to order. The groups in the communique, also implored Nigerians to read facts and refuse to be swayed by hateful sentiments by a drowning man like Sowore

“We therefore call on the Nigerian Government to do their job and call Sowore to order. We are shocked that he is still prowling around causing more havoc even while he has many unending cases in courts on account of his antecedent recklessness, crookedness and waywardness.

“As the youths of Nigeria, we implore everyone to read facts, maintain objectivity and refuse to be swayed by hateful sentiments being peddled by self-seeking charlatans and political nonentities. We will never allow a drowning man like Sowore pull others into his swirling pool of political misdirection, hopelessness and woes.

“We are, therefore, sending a note of warning to Sowore and his cohorts to desist from further campaign of calumny against the church of Jesus Christ and revered servants of God, if they have a modicum of character and sense,” the communique read

July 15, 2021 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Opinion

The truth that hurt Onoja

by Leading Reporters April 13, 2021
written by Leading Reporters

Over the weekend, convener of #RevolutionNow movement and publisher of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore and the Deputy Governor of Kogi State, Edward Onoja, were involved in a social media war of words.

Edward’s daughter was recently admitted into the prestigious Nile University as a student. ( I have to put that student there to avoid Nigerians asking me whether she was admitted as a patient or a security agent).

An elated Edward Onoja took to his Twitter handle to wish his beloved daughter God speed ( whatever that means. You know in the Federal Religious Republic of Nigeria,  we can coin anything to make our religiosity appear top notch. It is almost another kind of sin to not be religious in my country.)

I don’t think Edward did anything wrong by taking his daughter to school, taking photographs with her and wishing her success. After all , success is what we all wish for our children. I was happy for him and the young lady, who was all smiles in the picture.

Omoyele Sowore also added a voice to the many congratulatory comments pouring in for the Onojas as a well wisher. In his prayers, he wished Edward’s daughter what a parent would naturally wish a beloved child.

But that obviously didn’t go down well with our darling deputy. He could not hold his emotions and consternation. What followed was a litany on invective. What is in Sowore’s prayer?

He prayed that the child;

  1. May graduate and get a job.
  2. May not be owed salaries when eventually employed.
  3. May not be denied her pension after retirement.

Personally, I do not see anything wrong with this prayer. I do not think that any Nigerian would find fault with it. After all,  Nigeria is the most religious in the world. The deputy governor himself goes to church. He has, on several occasions, demonstrated his sublime love for God by dedicating all his success to Him. So why the vituperation?

I would tell you why. Omoyele seemed to have touched the very truth through that cynical prayer.  He squarely addressed the problems of Kogi State. The first truth glaring at Edward in the face is the total neglect of education in Kogi State. From primary to university education in Kogi State, it is a tale of deprivation and neglect.

The Kogi state University is the worst, and is being referred to as a glorified secondary school by mockers. I personally spoke to a professor from the school. The erudite man complained of being owed salaries and even the current ones are paid at the discretion of the government. A lot of professors are abandoning the school for acolytes of the government.

The dream of the founder of the school, Prince Abubakar Audu , to be a world class institution and also affordable to the less privileged has been washed down the drain by a government in which Edward is a key player. The school now ranks 89th in Nigeria and 10477th in the world. A shameful reversal of fortune for a school which hasn’t lasted up to 30 years.

At the moment, the school fees have more than tripled for new and old students. For new students who are from the state, the school fees range between N57,000 and N68,000, while for those who are not from Kogi State it ranges from approximately N100,000 to N150,000.

Before you say it is still normal, please consider that in that state, many people are owed salaries. The said salaries are anything from N30,000 to N100,000, of which percentages are paid reluctantly by the government when they feel like.

These salaries are earned by only about less than 30% of Kogi’s 3.4 million strong population. The remaining over 70% are farmers, who struggle with the stubborn soil to eke out a living. These are men and women who believe that their children would one day put smiles on their faces when they are out of school.

The university education is being pushed out of their reach by means of the increased fees. Their parents, those who are lucky to work in government are not paid salaries and the school fees are not affordable.

We haven’t talked about primary and secondary education. The teachers are owed multiple salaries, and are forced back into the farms. They come to school when they are free. There is no government presence in the villages. The parent-teacher associations of most village and suburban schools have decided to find a way around the problem.

They have resorted to employing secondary school leavers and other volunteers to teach in those secondary and primary schools under the title of PTA teachers. Their responsibility is on the association which pays them anything from N2,000 to N10,000 monthly.

Pray, what kind of service would anyone expect from such a situation? The first problem is that they are not qualified to teach. So, they would end up churning out half baked students and continue a circle of mediocrity. When their products get to the university, they are behind their peers on many fronts.

Secondly, a man who is receiving that kind of wage is not happy. What can N10,000 buy in today’s Nigeria? They too would look for alternatives that would better their living standard.

The story of Kogi state is a litany of woes. Edward should have simply said Amen to Sowore’s prayer instead of trying to put up a face saving argument that didn’t even come close to address the subtle indictment.

He stated that Sowore should have kept family out of politics. I want to ask Edward a simple question. Is it not politics that made his family the second family in Kogi state? The children they employ as thugs in Kogi state to run their political races for them are also people’s children. 

They education system that has died in their hands are to breed good and responsible children. How can you destroy the future of other  people’s children and be angry that yours was mentioned? Are some children more children than others?

Lastly, the kinds of words and angry vituperation that oozed from his response to Sowore are totally unbecoming of a man of his class. They are so vitriolic and completely lacking in substance. It shows one thing. That the man and his boss do not brook any other opinion that does not serve their interests. They want to be praised, worshipped and called ‘Excelon..’, whatever that means.

What is good for the goose is good for the gender. That’s what Sowore has implied. Edward had better sit down and provide the answer. He should stop those use of grammar that say nothing to us.

April 13, 2021 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING: DSS Sues El-Rufai for Intercepting NSA Ribadu’s Phone

    February 16, 2026
  • APC Senator Seeks 16-Year Single Tenure for Nigeria’s President

    February 16, 2026
  • Major Health Crisis Plagues Dape, Karmo Residents As Dust Pollution From AMAC Road Project Chokes Residents

    February 16, 2026
  • BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections

    February 13, 2026
  • Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in March – Perm Sec

    February 12, 2026

Usefull Links

  • Contact Page
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
  • Headlines
  • Investigation
  • Exclusives
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign


Back To Top
Leading Reporters
  • Featured
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact