Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Saturday, February 14, 2026
Hot
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
Tension As Popular Gospel Singer, 3 crew members...
2027: Wike Establishes Radio Station For Tinubu Campaign...
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
Leading Reporters
Advertise With Us
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Hot
BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections
Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in...
Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against...
INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General...
Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air...
Senate adopts electronic, manual transmission of election results
BURSTED: NSITF CEO MOVES On ₦297Billion Fund, Operates...
Peter Obi joins #OccupyNationalAssembly protest over electronic transmission...
Tension As Popular Gospel Singer, 3 crew members...
2027: Wike Establishes Radio Station For Tinubu Campaign...
Leading Reporters
Leading Reporters
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • Business
  • Exclusives
  • Investigation
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
Copyright 2024 - All Right Reserved
Home > Multichoice
Tag:

Multichoice

Business

MultiChoice Nigeria loses 243,000 subscribers as economic pressure bites harder

by Folarin Kehinde November 13, 2024
written by Folarin Kehinde

MultiChoice Nigeria’s subscriber base has shrunk by 243,000 amid the tough economic conditions in the country.

This was disclosed in the company’s interim financial report released on Tuesday, November 12.

According to the company, many of its subscribers in Nigeria have abandoned their decoders due to the tough economic situation in the country.

Meanwhile, overall group revenue at Multichoice fell by 10% to $1.41 billion on a reported basis but grew by 4% on an organic basis, which excludes the impact of foreign exchange effects and mergers and acquisitions.

Multichoice said subscriptions fell by 5% and 15% respectively in its South African and Rest of Africa operations.

It said profit was further hit by incremental investments in streaming platform Showmax, which Multichoice is prioritising to fight off competition from streaming giants Netflix, Amazon and Disney.

“Stripping out Showmax, the group would have seen reported trading profit increase by 28% on an organic basis,” the company revealed.

November 13, 2024 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

Multichoice Readjusts Subscription Prices For Dstv, Gotv Packages

by Folarin Kehinde June 17, 2024
written by Folarin Kehinde

MultiChoice, the owner of DStv and GOtv, has been forced to revert to its old subscription prices following a court order.

The company had previously increased its prices, but the court ruled that the hike was unjustified.

According to reports, the company has lost over a million subscribers in Nigeria due to the price increase.

The price hike was implemented to align with market realities following high inflation in Nigeria and the naira’s devaluation.

The old prices are as follows: DStv Premium package: N29,500 (down from N37,000); DStv Compact+ package: N19,800 (down from N25,000); DStv Compact Bouquet: N12,500 (down from N15,700); DStv Confam package: N7,400 (down from N9,300); DStv Yanga package: N4,200 (down from N5,100); DStv Padi package: N2,950 (down from N3,600).

GOtv subscribers will also see a reduction in prices, which is as follows: GOtv Super+ package: N12,500 (down from N15,700); GOtv Super package: N7,600 (down from N9,600); GOtv Max package: N5,700; GOtv Joli package: N3,950; GOtv Jinja package: N2,700 (down from N3,300).

It is not clear if MultiChoice will also offer a month-free subscription as ordered by the court. However, the company has vowed to challenge the court order, saying it does not favour its business model.

June 17, 2024 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

BREAKING: Tribunal orders Multichoice to give Nigerians one-month free subscription

by Folarin Kehinde June 7, 2024
written by Folarin Kehinde

The Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal fined Multichoice Nigeria N150 million for challenging the court’s jurisdiction and ordered the company to provide Nigerians with a one-month free subscription on DStv and GOtv.

The tribunal had previously restrained Multichoice from increasing subscription fees without adequate notice, following a suit by Barrister Festus Onifade who argued that the 8-day notice given by Multichoice for a price hike was insufficient.

Multichoice’s lawyer argued that price regulation disputes had been settled before and should not be re-litigated, while Onifade emphasized the lack of proper notice rather than the price hike itself, leading the tribunal to assert its jurisdiction and rule against Multichoice.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal has fined prominent Pay-TV operator, Multichoice Nigeria, N150 million for challenging the jurisdiction of a court sitting in Abuja that recently restrained it from increasing the prices of its DStv and GOtv packages.

The verdict delivered by three of the panel led by Thomas Okosu on Friday also ordered Multichoice to give Nigerians a one-month free subscription on DSTV and GOTV.

Leading reporters learnt that the tribunal had restrained MultiChoice from increasing its subscription rates pending the hearing and determination of a motion on notice filed by Barrister Festus Onifade.

June 7, 2024 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail
Headlines

JUST IN: Tribunal stops MultiChoice from increasing DStv, Gotv subscription rates

by Folarin Kehinde April 29, 2024
written by Folarin Kehinde

A Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal (CCPT) sitting in Abuja, on Monday, restrained Multi-Choice Nigeria Limited from increasing its tariffs and cost of products and services scheduled to begin on May 1.

The three-member tribunal, presided over by Saratu Shafii, gave the interim order following an ex-parte motion moved by Ejiro Awaritoma, counsel for the applicant, Festus Onifade.

The tribunal, in a ruling, restrained Multi-Choice from going ahead with impending price increase schedule to take effect from May 1, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice filed before it.

“The 1st defendant is hereby restrained from taking any step(s) that may negatively affect the rights of the claimant and other consumers in respect of the suit pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice,” Shafii declared.

She, therefore, directed all parties in the suit to appear before tribunal on Ma 7 at 10am for the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Onifade, in the suit marked: CCPT/OP/2/2024, had dragged Multi-Choice Nigeria Ltd and Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) before the tribunal.

In the suit filed on April 29, Onifade, also a legal practitioner, sought two orders.

These include, “an order of interim injunction of this honourable tribunal restraining the 1st defendant whether by themselves, her privies, assigns by whatsoever name called from going ahead with impending price increase schedule to take effect from 1st May, 2024, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

“An order restraining the 1st defendant from taking any step(s) that may negatively affect the rights of the claimant and other consumers in respect of the suit pending the hearing and determination of the Motion on Notice.”

Other members of the tribunal include Thomas Okosun and Dr. Umar Duhu.

April 29, 2024 0 comments
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestThreadsBlueskyEmail

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING: INEC announces timetable, schedule of 2027 elections

    February 13, 2026
  • Aso Rock to disconnect from nat’l grid in March – Perm Sec

    February 12, 2026
  • Valentine’s Day: FG bans money bouquets, warns against currency abuse

    February 12, 2026
  • INEC Proposes ₦873.78 Billion Budget for 2027 General Elections

    February 12, 2026
  • Engine Failure: Passengers escape death as Arik Air makes emergency landing

    February 11, 2026

Usefull Links

  • Contact Page
  • About Leading Reporters
  • Contact Us
  • Headlines
  • Investigation
  • Exclusives
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign


Back To Top
Leading Reporters
  • Featured
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact