“They are destroying Nigeria or they’ve destroyed Nigeria”. This is a common statement we hear every day as we meet fellow Nigerians in the office, the market; in the bus and mostly around newspaper vending points. Who’s destroying this potentially great nation? You may want to ask. PDP destroyed Nigeria! This is the response one hears from APC loyalists.
While APC supporters and party men insist that PDP destroyed Nigeria, PDP loyalists and sympathizers on the other hand claim that PDP regime handed over a robust economy, a one digit inflation rate, a functional private sector-driven economy and vibrant agric policies to President Muhammadu-led APC government. With all these said, it becomes pertinent to ask who is actually destroying Nigeria? Is it PDP or APC?
Sanely speaking, neither PDP nor APC destroyed Nigeria. Nigerians destroy Nigeria. So the narratives given by Nigerians in line with their political affiliations and sometimes regional and religious ideologies do not hold water. This is because PDP and APC are just acronyms of two political parties.
Today, we see a situation where by sheer party affiliation, corrupt individuals are declared “clean”. Again, those who make up the membership base of APC today were former PDP members. So, if the claim by APC that PDP destroyed Nigeria, it could then be well deduced that those who destroyed Nigerians have found themselves a new political party in APC. In other words, they have been ‘venerated’ and ‘freed’ from every blemishes and accusations of corruption by just identifying with the ruling party.
While the government of the day continues helplessly to point accusing fingers on PDP to have destroyed Nigeria, it is necessary we remind ourselves among other things that:
- Pres. Bukola Saraki, now APC was a PDP Governor for 8yrs and PDP Senator for over 3 years before he joined APC in 2014. Today, he is the Senate President.
- Speaker Yakubu Dogara. Two-term PDP House of Rep member who joined APC in 2014 and was elected for a third time in 2015. Today, he is the Speaker.
- Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar was Nigeria’s PDP Vice-President for 8yrs. He is currently an APC Elder Statesman.
- Victor Ndoma-Egba the current Chairman of NDDC was PDP Senator for 12yrs before he recently decamped to APC.
- Heineken Lokpobiri was a two-term PDP Senator from Bayelsa State. He decamped to APC after the 2015 elections. He is a serving Minister of the Republic of Nigeria currently.
- Ita Enang was a two-term PDP Senator from Akwa-Ibom. He joined APC before the 2015 elections. Currently he serves as the SSA to the President on NASS.
- Samuel Ortom served as Benue State Secretary of the PDP. Former National Auditor of the PDP and former Minister under Pres. Jonathan. He joined APC in December 2014. He is currently the Governor of Benue State.
- Barnabas Gemade was one of the founding fathers of PDP. Rose to become a former National Chairman of the party and Senator from 2011. He decamped to APC in December 2014. He is a serving Senator.
- Atiku Bagudu was a two-term PDP Senator from Kebbi. He joined APC at some point. He is the serving Governor of Kebbi State.
- Aminu Tambuwal was former PDP Speaker of the House of Representatives. He joined APC in 2014. He is the serving Governor of Sokoto State.
- Abdullahi Adamu was a two-term PDP Governor of Nasarawa and Senator in 2011. He Joined APC in 2014. He is currently serving as a Senator.
- Danjuma Goje was a two-term PDP Governor of Gombe State and Senator in 2011. Joined APC in 2014. He is currently a serving Senator
- Dakuku Peterside was a PDP Rep member from Rivers State who along with his godfather Rotimi Amaechi decamped to APC. He is the DG of NIMASA currently.
- Rabiu Kwankwaso was a two-term PDP Governor of Kano State and former Minister of Defence under Pres. Obasanjo. He Joined APC in late 2013. He is a serving Senator.
- Rotimi Amaechi was a Former PDP Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly. Two-term PDP Governor of Rivers State who Joined APC in late 2013. He is a serving Minister of Transport.
- Rochas Okorocha was a Special Adviser to PDP’s President Obasanjo. Became the Governor of Imo on APGA’s platform. He joined APC in February 2013. He is the Governor of Imo State.
- George Akume was a two-term PDP Governor of Benue State and Senator in 2007. Left the party in December 2010. He is still a serving APC Senator.
- Nasir El-Rufai. Former FCT Minister under President Obasanjo left the PDP in 2010 and joined CPC. He is the serving APC Governor of Kaduna State.
- Bello Masari was a PDP Speaker of the House of Reps in 2003 from where he joined the CPC in 2010. He is the serving APC Governor of Katsina State.
- Adamu Aliero was a two-term PDP Governor of Kebbi State and Senator in 2007. Later, he was appointed the FCT Minister under Pres. Yar’Adua. He joined APC at some point. He is a serving Senator today.
- Udoma Udo Udoma was a two-term PDP Senator from Akwa-Ibom State. He is the serving Minister of Budget & National Planning.
- Orji Uzor Kalu who most recently pitch his political tent with APC was a PDP governor for 8 years, before he founded PPA. Having failed abysmally to launch himself to political limelight on the platform of both PDP and PPA, he joined APC
Thus, if Nigeria is suffering any misrule that stemmed from PDP 16years reign, let everyone know that the current APC promoters were part of the few Nigerians that destroyed Nigeria for 16years. They may have continued on their destructive course under APC.